Register/publish doctoral thesis (comprehensive summary)
- See The doctoral guide for general information on production and distribution of your doctoral thesis.
Before posting, you must register the papers that are included in your thesis (articles and manuscripts) and the comprehensive summary (”kappan”) in DiVA. Registration consists of three steps:
- Check which of the papers included in the thesis are already registered in DiVA.
- Register the papers that are missing.
- Register the summary (”kappan”) and link your papers to it.
Step 1. Check which of the papers are already registered in DiVA
Search, for example, for the paper’s title in DiVA http://hh.diva-portal.org/. Check if all the details are correct. If you need to edit or add details, edit the existing record. (See the Quick reference guide Edit, copy or delete publication data.)
Step 2. Register the papers that are missing
Register the papers that are not already in DiVA. Use the Quick reference guide Register/publish in DiVA or the Quick reference guide Import publication data. Select the correct publication type and status:
- Article in journal
- Epub ahead of print
- In press
Choose Manuscript (preprint) as publication type if the manuscript has not yet been submitted to a journal.
Step 3. Register the summary (”kappan”) and link your papers to it
When all the papers that are included in the thesis are registered in DiVA, register the summary (”kappan”) and link the papers to it.
1. Log on to DiVA http://hh.diva-portal.org/login with your University account and password and select Add publication/Upload files to register your posting details. If you don’t have a University account, read about how to get one here.
2. Select publication type: Select Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Alternatively, Licentiate thesis, comprehensive summary) from the list and click Continue.
3. Link papers: Search for your papers using author name, title or other information. The search results are shown as a list. Use the check boxes to select your paper(s) and click Add.
4. Author: Fill in your name, year of birth och your local user id at Halmstad University.
5. Choose organisation: Select the organisational affiliation, i.e. department or unit, for all Halmstad University authors. Browse to the lowest level in the hierarchy. By doing this, the name of your department will be registered automatically. Select the organisation that corresponds to the affiliation present in the article. If you want to register a publication that you wrote when you were working at another university, enter the details in the free text field labelled “Other university”. It is also possible to use this free text field if while at Halmstad University you were also affiliated with another organisation when you published the article.
6. Title: Fill in the title and subtitle (if appropriate) of your thesis and select language. Words in English titles should be capitalised, except for prepositions, articles and conjuctions. Avoid using a colon in the title; consider using a subtitle instead.
Alternative title: Complete this field if there is a title in a different language.
7. Other information: Fill in the year of publication and the number of pages.
8. Series: Select the series that your thesis will be published in from the list (Halmstad University Dissertations), and also its number.
9. Publisher: Fill in place = Halmstad and publisher = Halmstad University Press. Select the publisher by typing the beginning of the publisher’s name. Select the publisher from the drop-down list that appears. To remove a publisher, click on the red X.
10. Identifiers: Add the ISBN numbers. Click Another ISBN to add the number of fields.
11. National subject category: Choose one or more subject categories. National subject category is used in the national finding tool SwePub. To remove a category, click on the red X.
12. Keywords: Add the keywords you wish to associate with your thesis, and select language. Use a comma to separate the keywords. You can add keywords in other languages by clicking Keywords in another language.
13. Abstract: Type/paste the abstract of your thesis and select language. You can add additional abstracts by clicking on Another abstract.
14. Supervisor and opponent: Fill in the supervisor’s and opponent’s name and research environment. If the person is at another university, fill in Other university. You can also enter the person’s academic title. Click Another supervisor or Another opponent if you have more than one supervisor/opponent.
15. Public defence: Select the date and time from the calendar to the right of the date field. Add language, address and location for the public defence.
Degree: Select the title of your degree.
When you have filled in all the details, click Continue.
16. Upload file: Upload the official PDF file from the university press by clicking Bläddra... (Browse...). If the papers are included in full text, they need to be free from copyright restricitions.
17. Review information: Check that all your details are correct. If you want to change something, use the link Edit information to return to the form.
18. Submit: When the registration is complete, click Submit. The library will check the record before it is published/made visible in DiVA.